The Nine-Pipe Problem is a community-created cosmetic item for the Medic. It is a gourd calabash pipe, complete with a "Genteel Smoke" particle effect and dark glasses that replace the Medic's usual clear pair. The pipe sways in motion.
This cosmetic item has two styles, "Afternoon" and "Evening." The second style, "Evening," maintains the Medic's usual glasses.
The Nine-Pipe Problem was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
|Eliminating The Impossible|
Reduces mystery solving time by up to 88%.
- Note: The attributes are hidden until both items are equipped.
- This set does not affect gameplay, as its description is meant to be a joke.
- The Nine-Pipe Problem was added to the game.
March 26, 2012 [Item schema update]
- The Nine-Pipe Problem can now be found in random drops.
- [Undocumented] Lowered the price of the Nine-Pipe Problem in the Mann Co. Store.
- Loosened equip region restrictions for the Nine-Pipe Problem.
- Fixed cosmetic items with an ambient particle effect (i.e. Soldier's Stogie, Nine-Pipe Problem) erroneously reporting that they had the Genteel Smoke unusual effect.
- Added Strange quality.
- The item is a reference to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Specifically, it alludes to the phrase "three pipe problem" introduced in the short story The Red-Headed League, and refers to the amount of tobacco needed to ponder over and deduce the solution to a particular puzzle. Additionally, Holmes is sometimes depicted as smoking a calabash pipe, usually when outdoors.