Gold Rush Update
The Team Fortress 2., also referred to as the Medic Update, was the first major content update for
The update centered around the Medic as the first class to receive three new weapons that provided alternate means of gameplay. Alongside the introduction of these weapons, the Character Info and Loadout system was implemented to allow players to equip the different weapons that would come in later updates.
The update was released in the April 29, 2008 Patch.
|Name||Picture||Game mode||File name|
Setting a precedent for future content updates, the Gold Rush Update revealed all aspects on the day of release. Explanation was given for the new major additions to the game, as well as justifications concerning player experience.
- Medic was chosen to be the first class to receive an update due to criticism against the passive role players would often find themselves in when using the class, as well as the fact that he was the least played class at the time. The release of this update saw the Medic rise to the third most played class in the game.
- Soon after the update, players could use console commands to automatically unlock all of the Medic weapons without unlocking any achievements. This was later fixed.
- The initial Medic weapons differed from their current incarnations:
- The Blutsauger was released with the inability to deal critical hits as a negative attribute. This was replaced with the amount of health naturally regenerated by the Medic per second being reduced.
- The Kritzkrieg only charged 10% faster than the default Medi Gun when it originally released. This number has since been increased to 25%.
- The Ubersaw was previously unlocked after earning all 36 Medic achievements. This has since been reduced, due to difficulty.