End of the Line Update
The main feature of the update was the community-created SFM video titled End of the Line. Its plot consists of BLU sending off a runaway train filled with bombs, and RED's attempts to stop it from reaching their base.
The trailer for the SFM was uploaded on August 28th, 2013, and originally started as a spontaneous passion project made by McVee to practice her visual storytelling and animation. A week after the release of the trailer, she was invited to Valve headquarters to talk and present what she had made to the SFM team before being proposed by Robin Walker with the idea of 'making it official'.
|Notes||† Not available for the Engineer and the Spy.|
|A Random Duck Token Gift|
|A Random End of the Line Key Gift|
|Pile of Duck Token Gifts|
|Pile of End of the Line Key Gifts|
|End of the Line Key|
|End of the Line Community Crate†|
|End of the Line Update Unusual effects|
|Frostbite||Molten Mallard||Morning Glory||Death at Dusk|
|Community Sparkle Unusual effects|
- The map Snowplow was made to release as part of the update, but wasn't included because Valve deemed it "too confusing and challenging for new players".
- In the beta testing version of the map, many objects that would 'spoil' the SFM were temporarily made into error signs.
- The map was later added in the Gun Mettle Update.
- While weapons weren't guaranteed to be added in the update, the End of the Line team still focused on creating them. One of them was added in the Love & War Update, while the others were scrapped due to not making the quality cut.
- After the release of the update, promotional posters for End of the Line could be found in a few select areas on certain maps such as Lumberyard.
- Certain maps also contained the BLU Pyro's mural seen in the SFM video.
The Ducks as they appear in the SFM video.
The End of the Line Key as it appears in the SFM video.
A promotional poster for the SFM video which was seen in several ingame maps. A physical version of this poster design can also be bought at the Valve Store.