Alright, yeah, that's— naw, that's a pretty good job.
— The Scout on gift-wrapped items
The Gift Wrap is a tool item. It is represented by a blue, spotted roll wrapping paper, a roll of red ribbon, a scotch tape dispenser, and a Description Tag. When used on any tradable item in the user's backpack, it is replaced with a Carefully Wrapped Gift containing the item that can either be held in the user's backpack, or sent to a player on the user's friends list with the 'Send Gift' option. After clicking 'Send Gift', the gift is sent through the Steam Trading system. This item can only be used if the user has a premium account.
Gift Wrap can be used to package an item as a gift for another player and can be delivered to players who are offline at the time. Note that items that are normally not tradable cannot be wrapped and gifted using gift wrap. Upon use, it creates a Carefully Wrapped Gift and destroys the tool in the process since it only has a single use.
After the gift is opened, the gifted item has a description indicating who sent the gift (which matches any future name changes), the date and the time of acquisition. The time displayed is the time (on a 24 hour clock, showing seconds) at which the recipient opened the wrapped gift. The recipient of a gift cannot resend a gift to someone else, as the 'Send Gift' action is replaced with the 'Unwrap' action. Once unwrapped, a normally tradable gifted item becomes tradable again.
The item can be unwrapped by the person who wrapped the gift.
Note: The item unwrapped displays the time when the gift was opened in the recipient's time zone.
A Carefully Wrapped Gift
Level 5 Gift
This item is a wrapped gift. You can give to someone if you wrapped it, or unwrap it if you received it!
Gift from: [sender]
This is a limited use item. Uses: 1
- [Undocumented] Gift Wrap was added to the game.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress Update)
- [Undocumented] Gift Wrap was added to the Mann Co. Store.
- Gift Wrap will no longer prevent the counters on Strange weapons from resetting.
- Fixed a bug with removing the Gifter's Name on gift-wrapped items.
- [Undocumented] Removed Gift Wrap from the Mann Co. Store.
- Gift wrapped items will be delivered through Steam trading, and are subject to trade holds if the sender doesn't have a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator.
- Items can now be unwrapped by their original wrapper.
- Moving forward, only tradable items can be gift wrapped. Items that are currently gift wrapped can be delivered regardless of the tradability of the contents of the gift.
- Added Gift Wrap back to the Mann Co. Store at a reduced price.
- [Undocumented] Updated the description of Gift Wrap.
- It is not possible to use Name Tags and Description Tags on Gift Wraps; however, it is possible to use them on Carefully Wrapped Gifts.
- The Gift Wrap cannot be applied to the Sapper and Construction PDA.