With the Grappling Hook equipped, the player can hold down the action key to shoot a hook in the direction they are aiming. The hook persists as long as the action key is held down, and vanishes upon releasing the key. If the hook hits a wall, ceiling, or other surface, the player is reeled towards it in a linear trajectory. Upon reaching the hook, the player will remain in that location until the action key is released. This allows players to quickly move across the map, and to suspend themselves on walls and ceilings indefinitely.
If the player is blocked from moving towards their hooked location, they will continue attempting to move towards it. If the obstacle is removed, the player will resume moving. Pressing the jump key while being reeled in will both detach the hook, and provide extra vertical momentum. The Grappling Hook may not be fired towards open sky and has a default maximum range of 2000 Hu.
Hitting an enemy with a Grappling Hook will reel the player towards that enemy and allow them to change weapons while grappled to the other player. Hooked players will bleed until the hook is released, either by the grappling player firing their Grappling Hook elsewhere, or if the two players have their mutual line of sight blocked for more than a few seconds.
The Grappling Hook can also be used by switching to the sixth weapon slot and using the primary fire key instead of the action key.
- Grappling Hooks can be enabled outside of Mannpower maps with
- Name and Description Tags have no effect and are not used when put on a Grappling Hook.
- Using the Action key to use the Grappling Hook can lead to the weapon selection failing and possibly the Primary Fire becoming stuck. If this happens, the player can go into the console and type in
-attackto fix it.
- If two players grapple each other in midair, they can float indefinitely.
- Occasionally the Heavy, after firing their Primary for an extended period of time and switching to the Grappling Hook, will be unable to switch directly to their Melee weapon.
- Equipping the Grappling Hook can cause third-person reload animations to not function properly. Reloading a weapon that reloads one round at a time can cause the player's model to appear stuck in a reloading position until they fire or switch to another weapon. Reloading a weapon that reloads its entire clip at once can cause the player's model to simply not appear to be reloading at all.
cl_flippedviewmodels 1is enabled the hook projectile comes from the right side of the players view.
- During the month of December Christmas lights will spawn on the grappling hook's cable but will remain in the air for a period of time after the cable has despawned.
Scout first-person view.
Soldier first-person view.
Pyro first-person view.
Demoman first-person view.
Heavy first-person view.
Engineer first-person view.
Engineer with Gunslinger equipped first-person view.
RED Medic first-person view.
Sniper first-person view.
RED Spy first-person view.
Bleeding icon used when hooking an enemy.