Hugs.tf is an annual charity live stream event benefiting SpecialEffect, a non-profit dedicated to helping those with special needs play video games. Often, this requires specific hardware to be created, as users may have physical or developmental disabilities that make conventional setups ineffective. Hugs.tf was founded by Tweak_, eepily, and lor_is, with the official staff group being created on March 4, 2017. The public Steam group was founded a few months later on May 1, 2017.
Hugs.tf started out as a small 24-hour Gameblast event hosted from a living room in West London. The project was founded by attendees lor_is, eepily, and Tweak_. The very first event managed to scrape in a total amount of £140, but after 4 years they have managed to raise well over £20,000. Around 2017, the group began to gain independence from the Gameblast event, founding a separate Steam group and beginning to host events. On May 8, 2017, the official Team Fortress blog announced the Hugs.tf 26-hour charity livestream in support of the group. On March 17, 2018, the group took to their own YouTube channel to announce another charity livestream. The group has yet to announce any official proceedings since.
Since their founding, the group has brought on additional staff members. Those who are affiliated with the project are as follows:
The following individuals have made appearances at Hugs.tf events:
- Becky Frost, Special Effect
- CeeJaey, YouTube/Twitch video creator and personality
- Kaidus, competitive ETF2L player associated with team Se7en
- Nuze, caster
- Agro, Kritzkast host
- Samiface, Twitch video creator and personality
- Drackk, competitive ETF2L player and two-time Insomnia LAN winner
- Dr. Phil, competitive ETF2L player
- DarkLitra, artist
- Permzilla, competitive ETF2L player and former ETF2L head admin
- cupcake, media
- Gubbins, competitive ETF2L player
- Fribs, media
- Wolf Machina, EssentialsTF associate
- NiceAsh, KritzKast associate
Most of the events featured on Hugs.tf centers around standard Team Fortress 2 matches. However, other events have been featured on the schedule as well. Most prominently, Hugs.tf has sponsored showcases from experts on Jumping, hosted raffles to give in-game cosmetics away, and the creation of artwork.
The Heartfelt Hug was available for donations of at least £10.
The medal was contributed to the Steam Workshop by xB33 , niceAsh | id10-IT.com, Quin, Wolf Machina , squirrel_BVC doggo @hugs.tf, Island Rhythms , eep , Jon | EssentialsTF, HUGS.TF is BACK BAYBEE, uberchain, Amy , and ipinzi.
The Heartfelt Hero was available for donations of at least £10.
The medal was contributed to the Steam Workshop by xB33 , niceAsh | id10-IT.com, Wolf Machina , squirrel_BVC doggo @hugs.tf, Andy Thybo, Island Rhythms , eep , Jon | EssentialsTF, HUGS.TF is BACK BAYBEE, Girl (with dick and everything) , uberchain, and Amy .
The Heartfelt Hug is available for donations of at least £10, and the Heartfelt Hero is available for donations of at least £25. Donations of £35 or more will earn the player both medals.
- Heartfelt Hug
- Heartfelt Hero
- Added The Heartfelt Hug community medal for the hugs.tf charity event
- Updated The Heartfelt Hug to be paintable
- Added The Heartfelt Hero medal for the Hugs.tf 2018 community event
- [Undocumented] Updated the textures and backpack icon for the Heartfelt Hero.
- Added the hugs.tf 2023 medals
- Fixed names/descriptions for the most recent HugsTF medals
- Hugs.tf website
- Hugs.tf YouTube channel
- Hugs.tf Twitch page
- Hugs.tf Twitter page
- Announcing the 2017 stream on the Official TF2 Website
- Announcing the 2018 stream on Reddit