From Team Fortress Wiki
It fixes, it dents craniums, it's the wonder tool of the century!
— Eureka Effect publicity blurb
The Eureka Effect is a melee weapon for the Engineer. It is a retro-futuristic pipe wrench with a team-colored handle and an atomic symbol etched into the top of it. A spiral antenna, not unlike a Tesla coil, is attached to the head. A switch near the top of the grip is connected to a red wire that is plugged into the bottom of the antenna.
Using this wrench prevents the player from being able to haul buildings. Instead, pressing alt-fire or taunting (default key 'G') will cause the Engineer to perform a taunt for approximately 2 seconds with the weapon, during which he hoists his wrench into the air and is struck by a bolt of lightning, causing him to be teleported directly to the team's active respawn room. Doing so gives him full ammunition, health and removes all effects caused by other players in the process and allows him to change his loadout, similar to touching a resupply cabinet. The taunt cannot be activated if the player is in the air or in water.
Switching from this weapon to a different melee weapon will destroy all existing buildings.
The Eureka Effect was later contributed to the Steam Workshop, at Valve's request.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times
|Damage repaired per hit
|Upgrade amount per hit
|Metal cost per repairing hit
||1 + damage / 5
|Metal cost for reloading ammo
||1 / bullet
2 / rocket salvo
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
As a crafting ingredient
|| Built to Last|
Help a single building tank over 2000 damage without being destroyed.
|| Circle the Wagons|
Repair 50,000 damage to friendly buildings constructed by other players.
|| Get Along!|
Manage to get to, and then remove, a sapper placed on your building while you were several meters away.
|| Doc, Stock, and Barrel|
Repair a sentry gun under fire while being healed by a Medic.
|| Land Grab|
Help a teammate construct a building.
|| Quick Draw|
Kill a Spy and two sappers within 10 seconds.
|| Silent Pardner|
Upgrade 50 buildings built by other team members.
|| The Wrench Connection|
Kill a disguised spy with your Wrench.
|| Rio Grind|
Perform 50 repairs and/or reloads on a Sentry gun being Wrangled by another Engineer.
December 15, 2011 Patch (Australian Christmas 2011)
- The Eureka Effect was added to the game.
December 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed an exploit with The Eureka Effect where the effects could activate without taunting in high-lag situations
January 11, 2012 Patch
- Added crafting blueprint for the Eureka Effect.
March 19, 2013 Patch
- Fixed the death notice icon for the Eureka Effect.
- There is an idle particle designed for the tip of the electrode which is unused.
- The weapon's alt-fire ability bears resemblance to the Instant Teleport, a scrapped secondary weapon which would teleport the Engineer to his Teleporter Exit.
- The name is derived from the term eureka effect, any sudden unexpected discovery, or the sudden realization of the solution to a problem.
- This weapon is called the Wrenchmotron 600 on the Dr. Grordbort's website. The Eureka Effect is listed as an "electrifying taunt" there.
- ↑ Team Fortress 2 Brainiac Pack