From Team Fortress Wiki
|“What are you lookin' at?!”
This page would benefit from the addition of one or more images.
Please add a suitable image, then remove this notice. The specific instructions are: "3D festive model"
The Sandvich is a great tool for a Heavy defending an area, as it gives him the ability to replenish health between enemy waves without having to abandon his post.
— Sandvich publicity blurb
The Sandvich, known in full as the Sandvich Edible Device, is an unlockable secondary weapon for the Heavy. It is half of a sandwich made with two triangular slices of bread. Between the slices of bread are lettuce, tomatoes, Swiss cheese, and an indeterminate meat that is referred to both ham and bologna by the Heavy. It is topped with a green pimento-stuffed olive, pinned to the Sandvich by a toothpick.
The Sandvich can be consumed by pressing either the bound primary fire or taunt key. When eaten, it will replenish an amount equal to the Heavy's maximum health over a four second duration. While the Heavy is eating, he makes a loud munching sound and the player is forced into the third-person view. As eating the Sandvich is considered a taunt, it cannot be consumed in instances when taunts can not be used, such as when underwater. The Sandvich will not have to recharge if the Heavy is already at maximum health, allowing it to be continuously consumed for leisure. Critical Sandviches have no additional benefits.
Players can use the alternate fire key to drop the Sandvich onto the floor. A dropped Sandvich appears on a rotating plate and acts as a medium-sized Medkit that can be picked up by both allies and enemies. The Heavy cannot use his own dropped Sandvich to heal himself; picking up a dropped Sandvich will simply reset the cooldown timer. A dropped Sandvich from another Heavy, whether friend or foe, can only be used to restore health and will not reset the cooldown timer.
The recharge time for the Sandvich is approximately 30 seconds. The Heavy can instantly recharge the Sandvich by visiting a Resupply cabinet, picking up his own thrown Sandvich, or collecting any health pickup while at full health. The recharge timer begins as soon as the Sandvich is consumed or dropped. Should the Heavy be killed while holding the Sandvich, it will be dropped as a collectible that restores 50 health to all classes but the Scout, who is healed for 75 health.
The Sandvich is automatically awarded to any player who obtains 10 Heavy achievements.
Healing and function times
|Healing and function times
||300 / 50% of max health
||30 s / Instantly
|Dropped item expiry
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
As a crafting ingredient
|| Dodgers 1, Giants 0|
Kill an enemy Heavy and take his Sandvich.
|| Konspicuous Konsumption|
Eat 100 sandviches.
|| Iron Kurtain|
Take 1000 points of damage in a single life.
August 19, 2008 Patch
(A Heavy Update
- The Sandvich was added to the game.
February 25, 2009 Patch
- Players with full health can now pick up dropped Sandviches.
September 15, 2009 Patch
- Alt-fire on the Sandvich now drops Sandviches.
- A single Sandvich can be dropped at a time. Dropping the Sandvich removes it from the Heavy.
- A Heavy can regain his Sandvich by collecting a healthkit while already being at full health.
- Eating a Sandvich using the taunt method now heals a Heavy to full health.
- Dropped Sandviches heal 50% of the collector's health.
October 14, 2009 Patch
- Added 1/2 Bonus Point for healing a teammate with a dropped Sandvich.
- Fixed being able to eat your Sandvich (via taunt) and drop it in the same frame.
- Fixed thrown Sandvich traveling through players before being activated.
- Fixed Sandviches sometimes spawning inside walls, or being thrown through thin walls.
December 22, 2009 Patch
- Fixed the Heavy picking up his own thrown Sandvich if it was thrown while running forward.
April 28, 2010 Patch
- Throwing a Sandvich to a teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).
May 12, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] The weapon was added to the crafting blueprint for the Dalokohs Bar.
July 8, 2010 Patch (Engineer Update)
- The Sandvich now uses a cooldown timer, instead of the health pack recharge mechanic.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Removed the cooldown timer from the Sandvich and the Dalokohs Bar when eating.
October 6, 2010 Patch
- Fixed the Sandvich cooldown not occurring when the Heavy is hurt.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress)
- Fixed the Sandvich charge meter.
December 21, 2010 Patch
March 10, 2011 Patch (Shogun Pack)
- Updated model with optimizations and LODs.
March 15, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The crafting blueprint for the Dalokohs Bar was changed from Bonk! Atomic Punch and Sandvich to one Scrap Metal and Sandvich.
- [Undocumented] The crafting blueprint for the Buffalo Steak Sandvich was changed from Crit-a-Cola and Sandvich to one Reclaimed Metal and Sandvich.
August 23, 2011 Patch
- Added simplistic bot behaviors for the Sandvich.
February 14, 2012 Patch
- Updated the Heavy's Sandvich so it will only resupply ammo if the owner picks it up after dropping it. This means the only way to gain health from the Sandvich is by eating it.
July 5, 2012 Patch
December 20, 2012 Patch (Mecha Update)
December 21, 2012 Patch
- Fixed Strange Festive Sandviches leveling up multiple times in a single use.
January 16, 2013 Patch
- Fixed Strange Festive Sandvich not always tracking usage.
- Added The Festive Sandvich to the list of items allowed in Medieval mode.
- If the Sandvich is the active weapon during Humiliation, it can still be thrown by using alternate fire.
- When a player consumes the Sandvich, it is possible that no bite marks will visibly appear in the first person view; other players will still see an eaten Sandvich.
- When a player consumes the Sandvich with The FrankenHeavy set equipped, the Sandvich's eating time is reduced to three seconds. However, the healing rate does not change so the Heavy only heals up to 225 health.
- The Festive variant does not count towards the Konspicuous Konsumption achievement.
- The Festive variant does not glow when crit boosted.
- The Strange Festive variant cannot have the Strange Part Allies Extinguished applied to it, even though it has the ability to extinguish team-mates.
- S.E.D, the acronym of "Sandvich Edible Device", is also the acronym for the Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschlands, the Communist governing party of East Germany from October 1949 to March 1990.
- The Sandvich was first introduced to the community in Meet the Scout, months before it was released as an in-game item.
- The user guide for the Sandvich contains a typo. The word "Health" relating to the cheese and dairy group is misspelled as "Heatlh". This is corrected in the actual poster available through the Valve Store.
Nommed first-person view.
RED Festive Sandvich variant first person view, nommed.
BLU Festive variant first person.
BLU Festive Sandvich variant first person view, nommed.
A thrown RED Festive Sandvich.
A thrown BLU Festive Sandvich.