An exploit is a bug or unintended feature of gameplay that is deliberately and knowingly used by the player to gain an advantage. For example, if a bug enables a player to be immune to damage and a player knowingly uses it, it is an exploit. In contrast, bugs or problems which either do not affect gameplay or that are not intentionally triggered are classified as glitches.
- 1 General Exploits
- 2 File overriding
- 3 Map Specific Exploits
- 4 Patched Exploits
- 5 Update history
- 6 See also
- 7 References
The game has a console variable
sv_pure that controls which files clients are allowed to override. Except for a few critical files (mainly the game executables), anything goes unless the server owner denies it. This can be abused to use tampered materials that renders on top of walls and other trickery.
There are three modes for the variable:
- Anything goes
- Server provided white list
- Official content only
- The Soda Popper's hype and the Baby Face's Blaster's boost share the same item effect meter. This allows players to farm hype during set up times, switch weapons and have almost maximum speed right away.
- With the Flying Guillotine, if the player runs towards a thin wall and throws the projectile, the projectile can go through the wall.
- After gaining a full rage meter for any banner item (Buff Banner, Battalion's Backup, or Concheror), equipping a different banner and blowing the horn while touching a resupply locker will transfer the rage to that banner.
- The Cow Mangler 5000 can be fired through thin walls. This is mostly noticeable in Thundermountain's spawn gates.
- Using any of the Flamethrowers and firing in a downwards position will sometimes cause flame particles to go through thin walls, such as setup gates, and ignite players on the other side of the gate.
- The Flare Gun, Detonator, and Scorch Shot projectiles may sometimes be able to launch itself through thin walls if aimed at the right place
Building and Engineer Exploits
- An Engineer can hit an enemy twice with the Gunslinger and then swiftly switch to their Pistol to store a crit in their Gunslinger. Even if they change class they will still have the crit in their melee weapon.This works for all classes exept for the Spy.
- An Engineer can constantly use their Teleporter to farm points, as they are awarded one half-point for every time they take their own Teleporter. (Xbox 360 and PS3 versions only)
- If an Engineer switches to the different Wrench while having a Gunslinger equipped, holding an undeployed Mini Sentry Gun toolbox inside of a spawn room, the player can still place down a Mini-Sentry Gun.
- Building a Teleporter Exit on a staircase and then an Entrance above it will cause players to become trapped when they use the Teleporter.
- This exploit can be used to launch the player a long distance. By building a Sentry Gun and shooting the player with the Wrangler in the direction that want to fly, then destroying the Teleporter Entrance, the player will be launched a long distance.
- An Engineer can use a method or exploit called quantum crouch or crouch locking.
- This exploit can be used to put buildings or to be able to get out of the map. In order to do this, you have to find a ledge, or anything you can stand on, (It has to be a prop, or a building.) and you proceed to crouch. Now, if you're on a ledge, you must get out of it, uncrouch, then in the middle of the animation, you have to crouch again. If you did it successfully, you can now view as a standing person, while in the game, you're still crouching.
- "Needle Boosting" involves a player standing over a Medic, who then proceeds to shoot their Syringe Gun upward as the player jumps. Due to a physics error, the Medic's Syringe Gun needles propel the target upward. (Xbox 360 and PS3 versions only)
- When using a Strange Medi Gun in Mann Vs. Machine, you can use the pre-round ÜberCharge boost to rank up the weapon.
- Spies can place Sappers through thin walls, sapping buildings on the other side. (PS3 version only)
- Spies can place Sappers on Buildings while being invisible. They can use the Red-Tape Recorder to make the sentry unbuild itself without having the Engineer being able to fix it.
Map Specific Exploits
- A Heavy wielding an all class melee weapon can suicide on the cart, then another Heavy wielding any kind of Glove can pick up the dropped melee weapon, resulting in the heavy dropping the gloves into the world. The model for the various forms of gloves can be placed into the cart by repetitively switching between the two weapons, until the glove model is stuck into the train, separating the platform from the train, and the head of the train keeps moving while the platform is stopped. (so long as the blu team stays on the disconnected platform.)
- A Red Engineer can build a teleporter in the final spawnroom which makes it possible for Blu Spies to get into the red spawn room.
- Entering Enemy's Spawn In both bases, an Engineer can build a Teleporter using the hole which lets players leave the left spawn room. They must build a Sentry Gun under the hole and jump onto it, then crouch jump whilst repeatedly attempting to build a Teleporter Exit inside the spawn room, which enemy Spies can use to enter the base. This exploit works as there is no
func_nobuildbrush stopping Engineers from building from under the spawn. (Fixed in PC/Mac/Linux version.)
- Entering Enemy's Spawn 2 A hole in the lower, right side of the No Enter symbol for BLU's base (the one next to the haystacks) can be used by RED players to get into the BLU spawn room. (Present in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.)
- Holding Enemy Spawn Doors Open - Both teams can hold open the enemy's spawn door at the hay room by running into it while it is open. While this works well for the BLU team (as they can potentially spawn camp), it's not so easy for the RED team. Should a member of the RED team attempt this, there is a chance for the player to get stuck in the door, unable to move, and end up getting dragged up and down with the door as the BLU team enters and leaves the spawn area.
- Pointless Room - There is a spot in each Intelligence room, where a player can get other players stuck. This is a dead-end, because players cannot escape, unless they suicide. By building a Dispenser on the left wall of the left corridor (the one facing the Intelligence) and then by using the "jump through roofs" exploits to build a Teleporter Exit, a player can trap other players on their team. There is no tactical advantage to getting in here (Sentry Guns don't work here either), you can't be shot or shoot anybody. It is mostly used by people who are griefing as they will set up a Teleporter Entrance somewhere in your base and an Exit in the roof. This then traps your teammates and forces them to commit suicide. (Fixed in PC/Mac version, broken in 360 and PS3 versions)
- Roof Holes - A hole in the roof of the BLU team's 'upstairs' room (above and behind the balcony) allows arcing projectiles (grenades and needles) to be fired into the 'upstairs' room just outside the BLU team's main respawn room. It can be used for taking out Sentry Guns placed in the corner of the 'upstairs' room. This looks intentional; however the same cannot be used on the RED team's base as chicken wire covers the hole. (Fixed in PC/Mac/Linux version, broken in 360 and PS3 versions)
- BLU 1st Spawn
- The tall pillar of rock in the middle of the respawn wall has a small place to stand on near the top. Soldiers and Demomen can camp up here.
- Final Checkpoint
- Right before the ramp down to the final checkpoint by the map room is a small roof. Sentry Guns and Teleporters can be built on this roof.
- Between the 2 upper spawn doors in the corner above the lower spawn and health pack room is a small ledge. Sentry Guns and Teleporters can be built there.
- Spawn Building - RED Engineers can build inside their spawn area by crouching on the office chair and facing the computer panel to its right. Once the vertical position of the blueprint changes to match the visible height of the panel (which only occurs in a particular spot), the Engineer can place their construction at a specific mid-air point (this essentially means repeatedly jumping while spamming the keys bound to Crouch and Primary Fire). (Fixed in PC/Mac version)
- It is possible for a Pyro using any flamethrower to attack any enemies that are sitting on point A from behind the sliding steel door.
- Glitched Area - Backroom (Final Control points in
cp_welland Intelligence room in
ctf_well) - Allows Soldiers, Demomen, and Engineers to get into the roof area and on the beams. It is unconfirmed if this is an exploit or not as both teams can use it, higher areas are blocked by invisible walls and this hasn't been fixed by Valve even though it's been around a while
- Infinite Taunt - If a Soldier goes under one of the bridges in the middle he can repeatedly perform the Kamikaze taunt without dying. This can also be used by a Medic with the Meet the Medic (taunt), crashing a server.
- RED Bamboo Glitch - It is possible for an Engineer to build a teleporter exit behind the bamboo across from the front spawn door on the RED side of the map. This may be used to grief teammates, as they will be trapped there and forced to suicide. This does not appear to hold true for the BLU side. (Fixed in PC/Mac/Linux version.)
- Taunt kill through floor - If a Soldier can get to the stair way, (the one under the health and ammo, second red spawn) and rocket jump to a ledge, the Soldier and use the Equalizer or Escape Plan can kill players on the red team league. And standing in the right place won't kill you using the taunt kill.
- Sentry out of the map - An Engineer will go to the third checkpoint, (the checkpoint where the rock is supporting the railing of the cart) and will proceed to build a Dispenser, the Engineer will do a quantum crouch, or crouch locking. You can do it, by crouching before going over the ledge, then crouch, and uncrouching in the air. It will show a very small build space, and they can proceed to build a Sentry Gun inside of those rocks. Players who are pushing the cart will be detected by the Sentry Gun. The only way to be able to push the cart again, is for the sentry to run out off ammo.
- Bonk Scout* - If a Scout drinks bonk and intercepts, he can still carry the ball while under the influence of bonk.
- No ball- If someone throws the ball between the crates and the wall, the ball can no longer be scored for either team. (Fixed in PC/Mac/Linux version, the ball now will respawn at the original spot after not being held for too long.)
|Title||Description||Exists on PC||Exists on 360||Exists on PS3|
|Infinite Sentry Health||Whereby a Spy and an Engineer working together can infinitely increase the health of a Sentry Gun by using the Red-Tape Recorder||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Infinite Teleporter Health||Whereby an Engineer could infinitely increase the health of a Teleporter by moving and destroying the entrance.||No||No||No|
|Backstab Not Breaking Disguise||Whereby a Spy could backstab while retaining their disguise.||No||Yes||Yes|
|Bunny Hopping||A jumping technique that allowed players to move faster than they should by bypassing the velocity cap.||No||No||Yes|
|Reference Pose Heavy||Whereby a Heavy could go into a reference pose by spinning the Minigun in spawn and switching class to Heavy. This is still performable, but another method is required.||No||No||?|
|Cloaked Backstab||Whereby a Spy could backstab while remaining Cloaked.||No||No||Yes|
|Critical Hit Storing||Whereby players are able to store Critical hits in their weapon.||No||No||Yes|
|Crouch Jump||Whereby players are able to build Teleporters in places that they should not be able to, such as spawn rooms.||No||No||No|
|Spectator Achievements||Whereby players could complete achievements by spectating other players who earned them.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Door Block Exploit||Allowed Engineer players to block spawn doors with the help of Teleporters.||No||No||Yes|
|Heavy Minigun Exploit||Whereby a Heavy was able to run and simultaneously rev up or fire their Minigun.||No||No||Yes|
|Intelligence Teleportation||An exploit that allowed a player to teleport with the intelligence by dropping it next to the Teleporter, then picking it up as they were teleported.||No||Yes||Yes|
|Melee Weapon Switching Exploits||Whereby players could attack and then instantly switch to another weapon and back again, making the next attack with the melee weapon land instantly, and stack on the attack they were already making.||No||No||Yes|
|Needle Boosting||Whereby players could be boosted by the Medic's Syringe Gun needles.||No||Yes||Yes|
|Occlusion Visualization Cheat (cvar)||Allowed players to make use of the built-in Performance UI to enable visible occluders which would let you then see through walls.||No||No||No|
|Permanent ÜberCharge||Whereby a disconnected Medic could continue to ÜberCharge his target indefinitely.||No||No||Yes|
|Permanent ÜberCharge #2||Whereby a Medic is able to give himself an ever-lasting ÜberCharge for the rest of the round. It requires a player to have unlocked the Kritzkrieg, and is done by switching to the Kritzkrieg whilst deploying the Über in the team respawn room. This can also be done the opposite way around - by switching to the Medi Gun, giving the player infinite Critical hits for the rest of the round. Standing near a Dispenser (or Payload while attacking), healing a teammate, or being healed by a teammate will however end the charge.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Permanent Atomic Punch||Where a Scout becomes permanently under the effect of Bonk! Atomic Punch by drinking the item while moving into a supply cabinet.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Teleporter Exploit||Whereby an Engineer could earn himself large amounts of points by using his own teleporter repeatedly.||No||Yes||Yes|
|Wall Sap||Whereby a Spy could attach a Sapper to enemy buildings through thin walls.||No||No||Yes|
|Cart Upgrading||Where BLU Engineers could "upgrade" the Dispenser on the cart by hitting where the blue stream comes out of the pipe on the cart, allowing it to dispense health faster than normal.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Level 3 Combat Mini-Sentry Exploit||Whereby an Engineer could build a Combat Mini-Sentry that fires rockets by building a Level 3 Sentry Gun, switching to Gunslinger (either by respawning or using resupply lockers), then re-deploying the Sentry Gun. The resulted Sentry Gun would take only 2.5 seconds to build like a Combat Mini-Sentry, but fired rockets like a normal Sentry Gun.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Multiple Buildings Exploit||Several methods where the Engineer (or in some cases the Spy) could build multiple copies of all his buildings.||No||No||No|
|Multiple Buildings Exploit #2||An Engineer could pick up a building with the "Automatically respawn after loadout changes in respawn zones" option and change their loadout hereby glitching them into having a building being "carried" and allowing the Engineer to build multiple buildings using the "build x" commands.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Multiple Buildings Exploit #3||Whereby an Engineer can build an unlimited number of buildings by using the commands, "build 0 x", "build 1 x", and "build 2 x" (where x is the number of the building), and a Spy can build an unlimited number of Dispensers using "build 0 x" (where x is the number of the building).||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Invisible Buildings Exploit||Any Engineer picking up a building and immediately taunting would be able to use the weapon they taunted with whilst holding this building. If placed back down with the "build x" commands, these buildings would be invisible, leaving only the sentry shadow, Dispenser screen or teleporter effect.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Infinite Crit Exploit||An Engineer that had revenge Crits on the Frontier Justice could abuse a loadout-related glitch to gain infinite Crits for all weapons, including ones that don't normally Crit (such as the Southern Hospitality).||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Powerjack Heal Exploit||A Pyro could switch to the Powerjack before an ignited enemy died from afterburn and still get the +75 health.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Permanent Regen Exploit||By disconnecting from the server mid-taunt with the Amputator, the healing effect would stay on all in the healing radius (through death and class change), until they disconnected or the map changed.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Surviving Kamikaze Exploit||Performing the Kamikaze taunt with the Rocket Jumper equipped to the primary slot will allow the Soldier to survive the taunt with no blast damage. This was removed and later re-implemented as a feature.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Spectator Halloween Gift Grab||Briefly during the 2010 Halloween event, it was possible to pick up gifts whilst in spectator mode simply by running the free camera into them.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Huntsman Reload Exploit||By switching to a different weapon and quickly switching back, it was possible to reload the Huntsman faster than intended.||No||Never Existed||Never Existed|
|Payload Last point Exploit||2 Pyro will go at the Last point 1 Pyro will die and the one will get its weapon until the Flame Thrower falls to the hole and automatically explodes with no Cart Needed and the Cart will be invisible||Yes||Never Existed||Never Existed|
- LotusClanChannel YouTube - Building a dispenser on the payload cart (2008-12-12), retrieved 2010-10-22.