has multiple variations, including Arena
| Nucleus (King of the Hill)
| Basic Information
| Map Type:
|| King of the Hill
| File name:
| Map Info
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×2 • ×2
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×2 • ×5
Down under? More like, six feet down under.
— The Engineer
Nucleus is an alternate version of Nucleus (Arena) that has been modified to fit the King of the Hill gameplay type. Along with Viaduct and Sawmill, it was released with the Classless Update as the first official King of the Hill maps for Team Fortress 2.
The goal is to capture the control point and seize it for a duration of 3 minutes, while stopping the other team from doing the same.
An overview of the Nucleus map.
- The Device - The swirling, colorful Doomsday Device which dominates the center of the map. It contains the map's Control point, which unlocks after several seconds.
- The Pit - Directly below The Device is a bottomless radioactive pit with a narrow catwalk suspended just above it. The catwalk holds a Medium Health Pickup, but the pit is an unavoidable death for anyone unfortunate enough to fall in.
- The Perimeter - The series of ledges and catwalks which directly surround the Pit. The Perimeter is further divided into "RED-Side Perimeter" and "BLU-Side Perimeter", based on which spawn room is on that side of the map. Narrow bridges to the control point appear across the pit after the control point is opened.
- Roofs - On top of the buildings along the perimeter are roofs which are accessible by Rocket Jumping or Sticky Jumping. The B roof area can also be accessed by Crouch Jumping onto the sides of the control point that face the B roof area, and then jumping onto the roof. These are useful spots as they give great height advantage and a view of the entire area.
- The Bridges - Once the timer has ticked the control point will open and bridges will extend out so that it is reachable. There are three bridges, one on each side infront of each team's spawn, and one far bridge in the center between the spawns.
- Flank Building - The flank building is one of the buildings on the perimeter. It is mostly blue colored and has no bridge connecting to the point from it, but has a bridge connecting to the catwalks below the point.
- Access Building - Directly across from the flank building is the access building. It is entered from each team's side by a set of staircases and in its center are two sets of staircases which lead down to the central bridge of the point. On each side there are entrances to balconies which overlook most of the area.
Control Point Timing
| Control Point
August 13, 2009 Patch (Classless Update)
- KOTH_Nucleus was added to the game.
May 27, 2010 Patch
- Changed side spawn exits to prevent sniping from inside the spawn door.
- Fixed graphical glitch on platform floor.
- Fixed blue-colored models in RED area.
- The particles seen around Nucleus's centerpiece are re-used from Portal's ending.