The Dead Hand is an unlockable melee weapon for the Engineer. It is a dead robotic hand, comprising segmented finger parts, wires, team-colored casing and a pressure gauge that replaces the Engineer's right hand.
The device grants the Engineer an additional 25 max health, raising his total health to 150, promoting more offensive play at the cost of no random critical hits. In addition, the player is able to perform a three-part combo attack on enemies. Should an enemy be hit three times in succession, the third strike (a downward motion with a clenched fist) will become an automatic critical hit. This does not need to be performed on a single enemy, but the attack key cannot be released during the combo or it will be lost and reset.
The critical hit animation for the Dead Hand is a downward punch swing. After that, the hand will jerk and produce a mechanical twitching noise before resuming the normal idle animation, though this is only a visual effect. The critical hit animation will also play when attacking friendly players and when building/upgrading the Engineer's own buildings.
Using the Gunslinger allows the Engineer to build the Combat Mini-Brain-Sentry Gun, instead of the standard Sentry Gun. The Mini-Brain-Sentry takes only 2.5 seconds to build, costs only 100 metal, and fires 50% faster. However, it cannot be upgraded or repaired, and each shot deals 50% of the damage compared to that of a normal level 1 Sentry Gun.
Switching from this weapon to a different melee weapon will destroy all existing buildings.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Damage repaired per hit||105|
|Metal cost per repairing hit||1 + damage / 5|
|Metal cost for reloading ammo||1 / bullet|
2 / rocket salvo
|Attack interval||0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
|Haunted Metal Scrap||Gunslinger||[[Dead Hand|Template:Dictionary/items/dead hand]]|
- The Dead Hand was added to the game.
- The name of the item might refer to the known expression "Dead End" which means there isn't any place to go.
- There is currently an exploit that allows players to use a Mini-Sentry by changing from the Dead Hand, while holding a Mini-Sentry toolbox, to any other Wrench outside of spawn.
- Weapon switching glitches can occur with the Dead Hand and any Wrench, which creates a glitched first-person model of the Dead Hand holding the selected Wrench at the same time (which should be impossible as they are both melee weapons, and thus could not be used together). It is also possible for the Dead Hand to appear as the Engineer's default glove.
- A player can wield a different Wrench weapon whilst appearing to have the Dead Hand equipped by exiting the spawn area, equipping a different Wrench in the loadout, returning to the area, and taunting in front of the Resupply locker.
- It is possible to "store" combo hits if alt-fire is held during and after each hit. Releasing alt-fire will cancel out this effect. The same effect will be produced if another weapon is switched out after a punch while holding down fire and then returning back to the Dead Hand for the next hit. This can be exploited to store crit attacks.
- The right hand gib of the gibbed Dead Hand-wearing Engineer will still show his regular glove.
- If an ÜberCharge is deployed on the Engineer using the Dead Hand, it will show a wrong skin position of the invulnerable Engineer.
- The weapon does not feature a team-colored glow when crit boosted.
- If connection to the item server is lost while equipped with the Dead Hand, the Engineer's left arm will be invisible on all weapons.