The Thermal Thruster is a secondary weapon for the Pyro. It is a team-colored, metallic jetpack with two rocket thrusters, one on each side (with the right thruster bearing the Pyro's emblem), and an enclosed yellow light on the top. When switching to the weapon, the backpack's thrusters fold outwards, exposing two handles which the Pyro holds in each hand. Switching away causes the thrusters and handles to fold inwards into the backpack. Unlike other weapons, switching to or away from the Thermal Thruster will lock the user in the animation and not allow switching from or away until it is finished.
The Thermal Thruster functions as a mobility tool, which stores two jetpack charges. Each charge is regained after 15 seconds and charges can be used underwater. Additionally, the Thermal Thruster is locked at a 0.8 second holster duration, even with weapons that reduce draw/holster time such as the Degreaser.
On use, the Pyro performs an initial liftoff, sending it a short distance upwards. Shortly after, the Pyro will take off with a quick blast that launches the player in the direction they are aiming; the beginning of the jump also extinguishes any nearby teammates and pushes nearby enemies away. Upon landing, the Pyro will knock nearby enemies back; should the Pyro fall from a high enough altitude and land on an enemy (when the player makes a cartoony "falling" noise), the resultant stomp will deal 3x standard falling damage, much like the Mantreads. The knockback dealt on enemies is determined by how high the Pyro jumps from when the Thermal Thruster is activated. If a jetpack charge is not used, the Pyro will not cause stomp damage even if landing on an opponent.
Despite not being listed in the description, the player receives an added 50% knockback from all damage sources while this item is equipped, and takes reduced falling damage while using jetpack charges.
Using a second charge in midair is not possible, but in Mann vs. Machine there is an upgrade that allows the user to do that when purchased.
The Thermal Thruster is automatically given to any player who completes the Pyroland Contract "The Thermal Thruster".
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Damage type||Falling (maximum of 3500 HU/s)|
|Base damage||100%||10 damage + 3x potential fall damage|
|Recharge time||15 s x 2|
|Effect duration||~1.4 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
- Rarely, hitting the Resupply locker while the Thermal Thruster is recharging can cause the game to crash.
- Despite what the description suggests, the Pyro can launch backwards by using a charge while moving backwards.
- Sometimes, the Thermal Thruster will not appear on other players who have it equipped.
- The Thermal Thruster is always deactivated in the Loadout menu, whether or not the animation is playing.
- When player models are enabled in the HUD, the Thermal Thruster will appear as RED, regardless of the team.
- When the player dies with the Thermal Thruster equipped, the player will still have it on their back and there will also be another one dropped that can be picked up.
- The Thermal Thruster may disappear on disguised Spies.
- Despite the April 12, 2018 Patch fixing an issue with the Thermal Thruster animation, if the Pyro switches weapons when falling from a high place, the Pyro will be in a reference pose until they reach the ground again.
- If the Pyro dies while the Thermal Thruster is active, it will still appear in its activated animation despite the Pyro holding a different weapon.
- This can be fixed by switching to the Thermal Thruster again.
- If the Pyro picks up a weapon while the Thermal Thruster is active, some of its attributes will still be retained, letting the player take less fall damage, and giving them the ability to stomp players by landing on them.
- If the Pyro also picks up a secondary weapon during a specific time in the Thermal Thruster launch, the Pyro will receive the parachute attribute from the B.A.S.E. Jumper, but cannot retract the parachute until the player touches the ground.
- If the Pyro enters water when using a charge, the attributes stated above will also stay until the player touches the ground.
- If the Pyro uses a charge while above water, the charge animation and the Swimming animation will play at the same time if the Pyro keeps moving.
- This can be fixed by touching the ground or stopping movement.
- If a different weapon is selected in the secondary slot, upon launching yourself and making contact with the Resupply locker before landing, the cartoony "falling" noise will keep playing and the "stomp" attribute will not be removed until the player dies or switches back to the Thermal Thruster.
- The Thermal Thruster has a third, unused texture that replaces the color with pink, and seems to have been drawn on in blue and yellow crayon, giving it a Pyroland aesthetic.
- The Thermal Thruster has unused animations in its model. Including a "taunt_rocketpack_intro" taunt that appears to have been the beginning of a moving taunt in which Pyro would hover above the ground.
- This item cannot be worn with any backpack cosmetics, as they occupy the same equip region.
- The Pyro is able to voice their melee dare voice commands while using the Thermal Thruster, despite it being classified as a secondary utility weapon.
- This item does not have an inspect animation.
- The Thermal Thruster was featured before Day 3 of the Jungle Inferno event (when it was officially announced). It can be seen at the end of the Jungle Inferno teaser and the bottom of the Day 1 page for the update.