|Map type||King of the Hill|
|Release date:||December 18, 2013|
|Last updated:||August 18, 2015|
Kep "E-Arkham" Pump
Kevin "Ravidge" Brook
Maxime "Fubar" Duplis
|Health Kits:||×2 • ×5|
|Ammo Boxes:||×4 • ×7 • ×1|
Suijin is a community-created King of the Hill map released with the Gun Mettle Update. It is set on the site of a Shinto shrine, built atop a Japanese cliffside with cascading waterfalls and sakura trees in full bloom.
Suijin was the first map made with the Japan Content Pack.
A portion of the money made from sales of Gun Mettle Campaign Pass for the Gun Mettle campaign goes to the authors of this map.
Suijin was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
Note: If you are having trouble finding the locations listed here, you can scroll down to the Helpful overview to see their exact position marked on the map.
- Temple Tower: At the center of the map is a large tower that houses the control point inside. The tower is open on three ends on ground level, and has a second level that can only be accessed via the rooftops. Two Byōbus are aligned along the control point as cover from the doors.
- Calligraphy Temples: By the waterfalls on the mountainside are two team oriented temples. Both temples contain a medium Health and Ammo kit. Both temples are connected at the center with a platform, holding a small Health kit, and bridge to the control point.
- Rooftops: All of the rooftops of the temples are accessible, providing high ground to shoot down on opponents and shortcuts to further parts of the map. Rooftops can be accessed by climbing the plank ramp near each team's calligraphy temple, from the Cliffside Temple's second floor, or by Rocket and Sticky jumping.
- Bamboo Buildings: Small enclosed buildings accessible by walking forward out of each spawn. Walking further forward past a torii gate leads to a bridge connecting to Temple Tower.
- Cliffside Temple: At the edge of the cliff is a temple containing two medium Health kits. The temple can be reached from a bridge at the side of Temple Tower over the cliff, or from each team's side by exiting the Bamboo Building from the left and following the rock path, which involves jumping across several cliff drops. The second floor of the temple can be used as a shortcut to reach Temple Tower.
- Far islands: Past the edge of the cliff are two small rock islands. Jumping classes can reach them, but Engineers cannot build on them.
The interior of RED team's spawn.
1.Far Islands 2.Cliffside Temple 3.Bamboo Buildings 4.Temple Tower 5.Calligraphy Temples Red diagonal lines: RED Spawn Blue diagonal lines: BLU Spawn
Yellow circle: The Hill/control point
|“Sun Tzu's got nothing on us!”
This map's Community strategy page is a stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help the Team Fortress Wiki Community Strategy Project by expanding it.
Notes: None added
Control point timing
- Made the banners on the walls in the pagoda nonsolid to prevent being caught on them.
- Fixed a case of zfighting.
- Fixed a case of floating rocks.
- Clipped the peak of the roof outside spawn.
- Release version 1!
- Fixed broken cap point.
- Fixed texture seam on skybox waterfalls.
- Clipped some beams.
- Lowered the pitch of the gongs.
- Further optimisation
- Redid the 3D skybox
- Did some extra detailing to the cap room, changed the detailing (especially OOB) on red side versus blue side.
- Various other bugfixes.
- Thousands of bugfixes;
- fixed nodraw surfaces
- fixed weird clipping in a few places
- fixed light bleeds
- fixed waterfall particles
- fixed various zfighting issues
- brighened some areas
- fixed lightmap and displacement seams
- fixed places you can get stuck
- fixed magical katanas
- fixed some weird clipping on the terraced path.
- Extended fence on the cliff to make it clear that it's clipped
- Some optimisation, a litle improvement in FPS (up to 40% in some areas), but probably the best I can do.
- Full artpass, however
- 3d sky needs more work
- waterfall particles broke for some reason
- optimisation needed
- some lighting bugs
- Made the pagoda square
a8 桜 edition:
- Made the platform out the back of the cliffside building a little bigger.
- More caustics.
- Brightened the cliffside building.
- Brightened the area under the waterfall.
- Unclipped the far stone pillar, I see no reason why it should be clipped as getting out there is putting you at a disadvantage and consistency is better than clipping.
- Swapped the small health in the cliff building with the medium health.
- Nobuilded rooves due to popular opinion.
- Players are blocked from leaving spawn until round start.
- More detailing.
- Remade the cliffside building.
- Modelled bridges.
- Added a railing to the platform with the medium health - doesn't actually protect anything, but hopefully is a visual notifier to the fact that the platform is there.
- Some displacing and some detailing, and some displaced detailing.
- Made the back waterfall and area under the boardwalk passable, just so there are no arbitary clipping.
- Nobuilded the area below the waterfall.
- Changed the back building so that players cannot hide behind the point of the roof.
- Sunk the point a little.
- Added small health to the cliff building.
- Welcome camera and a spectator point.
- Removed the fence that blocked the sightline down the back of the map, replaced it with some rocks that block the route instead.
- Prettied up some bridges.
- Added areaportals to all the buildings.
- Repositioned the rocks near the inland ramp to the rooves so that the ramp is far more visible.
- Some more ammo.
- Switched the medium health and medium ammo below, hopefully indirectly nerfing the height of the map.
- Added another waterfall, because waterfalls are cool.
- Modelled Torii's.
- Changed the rock near the back of the map so it doesn't hide the ramp up to the roof as much.
- Removed force from kill trigger.
- Stairs are clipped!
- Fixed the place where you could get stuck.
- Blocked a sight gap.
- Added a fence to block one of the longest sightlines.
- Added a rock on the rock formations over the gorge that allows other classes to jump back up towards the long building (albeit slowly.)
- Clipped the windows in the cliffside building.
July 2, 2015 Patch #1 (Gun Mettle Update)
- Added Suijin to the game.
koth_suijinwith the latest changes from the authors.
- Added cover around the point preventing cross-point sight line.
- Opened second window in point building.
- Tweaked pickup amounts and positions.
- Widened space between stairs to point and bridge railing to allow easier movement.
- Clipping improvements.
- Improved lighting in dark areas.
- Fixed an issue where Engineers could build on outlying islands.
- Fixed an issue where Engineers could trap teammates by building Teleporters in spaces with restricted movement.
- Fixed an issue where the spawn room doors could be held open by an opposing team member.
- Optimization improvements.
- The map's shrine is dedicated to Suijin (水神, literally meaning "water god"), the Shinto god of water in Japanese mythology.
- A Killer's Kabuto, Half-Zatoichi, and Conniver's Kunais can be found in the supply locker. Additionally, a banner of Concheror can be seen on the table in each respawn room.
- Inside both teams' spawns are big signs that denote their team's color in Japanese; '赤', meaning red, and '青', meaning blue.
- If a player shoots or hits the gong in their spawn, it will play a loud sound (the unused "Prayer Bowl" Noise Maker sounds from the Japan Charity Bundle). However, the gongs around the rest of the map do nothing when attacked.
- The sounds heard at the beginning of a round and when the capture point becomes available are also used by the Koto Noise Maker.
The Resupply cabinet for the map (exterior).