This item functions similarly to the Sandvich. Pressing primary fire (default key: ) or the taunt button (default key: ) with the Second Banana active will cause the Heavy to consume it and gain health. If the Heavy is at full health, the banana can be eaten repeatedly without recharging.
Unlike the Sandvich, the Second Banana recharges in 10 seconds rather than 30, but only heals up to 200 health at the same rate as the Sandvich. Additionally, dropping the Second Banana with alternate fire (default key:) functions as a small health kit, compared to the Sandvich (which functions as a medium health kit). Should the Heavy be killed while holding the Second Banana, it will be dropped as a collectible that restores 50 health to all classes but the Scout, who is healed for 75 health.
The Second Banana is automatically given to any player who completes the Pyroland Contract "Consolation Prize".
The Second Banana was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
Healing and function times
|Healing and function times|
|Consumption time||4.3 s|
|Dropped item expiry||30 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
- The Second Banana was added to the game.
- Fixed the bite bodygroup for the Second Banana.
- Fixed the animation for the Second Banana plate.
- Added the Second Banana to the list of weapons that can be found via random drops.
- The attribute +50% increase in charge recharge rate is incorrect; the Second Banana recharges in 10 seconds, which is ~66% faster than the Sandvich's recharge time.
- The jiggle bones are inverted.
- A "second banana" is an idiom which describes a person who serves in a supporting or secondary capacity. This references the fact that the Second Banana is a "booby prize", as the Heavy lost the Meet Your Match Update's "Heavy Versus Pyro" contest, while the Pyro won the main class-focused prize: the Jungle Inferno Update. It can also be seen as a reference to its secondary weapon status, or its usage in a supporting role to heal teammates.
- Accounting for the game's cartoony artstyle, the Second Banana's design most closely resembles the Gros Michel breed of banana, which was the main kind sold in the Western world until being replaced in the 1950s by the Cavendish.