The Spy has the unique ability to disguise as other classes, both on his own team and the enemies. This, as well as his cloaking ability, helps him move unnoticed among the other players. While wearing a disguise, the Spy appears as the disguised class from the other team's perspective, and to the Spy's teammates, he appears as a friendly Spy wearing a mask representing his current disguise.
- 1 Applying a disguise
- 2 Canceling a Disguise
- 3 Gameplay while disguised
- 4 Demonstration
- 5 Notes
- 6 Issues
- 7 Related achievements
- 8 Update history
- 9 Bugs
- 10 See also
- 11 References
Applying a disguise
On the console version, a disguise can be applied by opening the Disguise Kit, selecting the desired class to disguise as, and pressing confirm (default: - Xbox 360). On the PC, a disguise is selected by pressing the number corresponding to the class the player wishes to disguise as. For example, a player could press the key to disguise as an enemy Heavy.
Alternatively, a PC player may use the 'Concise Disguise Menu' from the advanced PC Options. When using the Concise Disguise Menu, a player first presses, , or to select a class category (Offense, Defense, or Support) and then presses , , or to select a class from the group. For example, a player might press to select Offense, and then press to select the Pyro as their disguise.
By default, the player disguises as a member of the opposite team, but they may also choose to disguise as one of their teammates by pressing the 'toggle disguise team' key (default: on Xbox 360) while in the Disguise Menu. A disguise may be selected as normal afterwards, and pressing the toggle key again switches back to enemy disguises. On PC, a player may save themselves time by pressing the 'last disguise' key (default ) which automatically disguises as the last class and team the player selected from the Disguise Menu.on PC,
Using the Disguise Kit is not instantaneous. After a disguise is selected, a Spy produces glowing particles of his team's color and a brief cloud of smoke for approximately two seconds (or half a second if switching between disguises), after which he stops emitting these particles and is fully disguised as the selected class and team. This can be avoided by being cloaked to any degree before selecting a disguise; once a disguise is selected, smoke particles begin forming which are not hidden by cloaking; however, selecting a disguise while already cloaked produces no smoke or team-colored particles. In either case, disguising creates a small amount of noise, which is somewhat dependent on which cloaking watch is used; these sounds can potentially give away the location of a Spy.
If the player has Your Eternal Reward equipped in their loadout, the Disguising costs a full cloak charge. It is not possible to disguise without a full charge or while cloaked (even if the Cloak Guage is being kept full by a nearby Dispenser). The Spy's only other means of Disguise requires him to perform a successful backstab on an enemy team member; non-backstab knife kills and kills with other weapons do not trigger this automatic disguise. Once successful, the enemy dies from the backstab, and the Spy immediately assumes a disguise identical to the enemy they just killed without any smoke cloud effect.
Canceling a Disguise
To cancel setting a disguise from the 'Disguise Menu' the defaultis bound to 'lastinv'.
To drop a disguise (e.g. to capture a Control Point - Spy Limitations) there is no default key set, however one can be created by binding a key to change to a Spy of the same team/color.
bind "x" "disguise 8 -2"
For advanced Spy scripts, see Spy scripts.
Gameplay while disguised
While disguised, the Spy's team sees him wearing a paper cut-out mask bearing the face of the class he is disguised as, and when they aim at him, his health indicator displays the team and class he is disguised as below his name (e.g. "Disguised as enemy Demoman" or "Disguised as friendly Sniper"). Enemies, on the other hand, see him as the team and class he is disguised as, and when they aim at him, he appears to have the identity of an allied or enemy player with his disguise. If the chosen team has at least one player of the chosen class the Spy disguised as, the Spy takes on the identity of one of those players randomly. If the selected team has no player of the selected class, the Spy takes on the identity of any random player on the selected team regardless of class. When a Spy copies a player's identity, he takes on the name, health, and weapon loadouts of that player unless the Spy disguises as a class that the chosen team has no players of. In that case, the Spy has the standard loadout. If the chosen disguise class has a slower move speed than the Spy's, the Spy reduces his speed to match that of his disguised class's default speed except when cloaked. Loadout effects that change the speed of the class, such as the Scotsman's Skullcutter are not taken into account nor does his speed increase to match that of the Scout if disguised as him.
When disguised as the enemy, Spies do not bleed from enemy fire nor do they receive knockback from any source except the Pyro's compression blast and the Scout's Force-A-Nature. Weapons with "On hit" effects such as the Blutsauger do not trigger when hitting, including hits that kill the Spy. However, Burning, Jarate, and Mad Milk affect disguised Spies as normal. Weapons that positively affect allies on hit such as the Crusader's Crossbow do not grant these to disguised enemy Spies and damage them as normal.
While disguised, a Spy can pick up Health kits to recover the 'health' of his disguise in addition to his actual health, if the player he disguised as was below full health at the time he disguised. This false health recovery still works, even if the Spy's actual health is full. Inversely, a Spy who is injured, but their disguise's health is full or Overhealed may still pick up a Health Kit. However, the cross icons that appears above him while healing are his actual team's color, not the color of his disguise.
If a Spy is disguised as an enemy, enemy Medics are capable of healing him with any of their medi guns. Both the Spy's real health and fake health are healed and overhealed as expected. Should a Spy become undisguised, the healing immediately breaks off. If a Medic decides to heal a disguised Spy, the "ammo loaded" count he sees is a random valid number based on the disguise's held weapon, from 1 to the weapon's maximum. Switching disguise weapons re-randomizes the value to the new weapon; as a result, switching back and forth results in an ever-changing count for weapons such as miniguns or flamethrowers, and is suspicious to attentive Medics. As with real allies, being disguised as a Medic or Spy displays "Übercharge: 0%" or "Disguised as X" instead of a loaded ammo count.
Buildings react to a Spy's disguise. Enemy Sentry Guns do not target Spies disguised as their Engineer's team, while Dispensers only provide resources to a Spy if his disguise matches its team. Teleporters work the same regardless of the Spy's disguise.
While a Spy is disguised as an opponent, he cannot capture control points or push Payload carts, nor can he block opponents from doing so. Conversely, a Spy disguised as a member of his own team can contribute to captures as normal (disguising as a friendly Scout or a Soldier or Demoman wielding the Pain Train only uses 1x capture rate).
Actions while disguised
There are several actions that can be taken that are specifically designed to make the disguise more convincing to enemy team members:
- Changing disguise weapon - Changing to the primary, secondary, or melee weapon and pressing the 'last disguise' key (default Scout lets you appear to equip the Bat). If the person you are disguised as has equipped an unlockable weapon in the chosen slot, you appear to be wielding the same weapon in your disguised state. ) causes the disguise to mimic the weapon of the class in the same inventory slot (ex: holding the Knife while disguised as a
- Reloading - If your disguise weapon is one that reloads a magazine or shells (e.g., Rocket Launcher, Scattergun, SMG, Syringe Gun, Shotgun, etc.), reloading your Revolver (default ) causes your disguise to reload their weapon. This does not apply to weapons like the Flare Gun or Sniper Rifle which do not have magazines as such. You cannot fake a reload while your Revolver has all 6 rounds loaded, or while disguised with a weapon like the Minigun, which has no reload animations. Reloading plays the Revolver sound clip, regardless of the weapon being reloaded. Note that the fake "ammo loaded" count displayed to Medics healing you does not change as a result of reloading.
- Voice commands - Any voice commands made while disguised are broadcasted to your team as coming from you and to the enemy team as coming from the person you are disguised as. You can call for an enemy Medic to heal you in this way. This can, however, alert the person you are disguised as to your presence since they will see voice commands attributed to them but not coming from them, and they may tell their team.
A Spy automatically loses his disguise if he is killed, steals the enemy's Intelligence, or if he attacks with any weapon apart from the Sapper. Alternatively, a Spy can manually remove his disguise by opening the Disguise Menu and selecting a Spy on his own team.
If a Spy has the Dead Ringer triggered, he does not lose his disguise. If the Spy was disguised as an enemy, the enemy team sees a death of the Spy himself as if he became undisguised. If the Spy was disguised as a teammate, the enemy team is instead lead to believe that said teammate has died, with the Spy dropping a corpse of the teammate's class instead of his own.
- Disguises do not change your actual hitbox sizes, shapes, or positions. Using certain disguises can therefore reduce the risk of headshot.
- If you pick up health kits or get healed, your disguise appears to gain health accordingly.
- You can always pickup health kits while disguised regardless of how much health your disguise has. You can use this to steal health kits from enemies, just be careful not to waste one that your teammates might need!
- You cannot taunt while disguised.
- You gain knockback immunity, regardless of disguise color, with some exceptions (such as the Pyro's compression blast).
- Disguising does not change the fact that Spies can walk through teammates but not enemies.
- The Sapper does not remove the disguise if used.
- Certain classes that have weapons that cannot be actively used, but instead are worn (such as the Razorback, Darwin's Danger Shield, or the Gunboats) can allow a disguised Spy to appear to have both the default weapon (by changing disguise weapon) and the wearable item equipped simultaneously, creating an impossible loadout and potentially giving away the Spy's disguise to observant players. For example, in the image to the right, the Spy disguised as a Sniper is wearing the Darwin's Danger Shield and holding the Submachine Gun, both secondary slot weapons.
- While disguised as a Pyro, presenting any primary weapon (e.g. Degreaser) causes you to give out a quiet sound that can be heard even while Cloak is activated. Beware, as experienced players can notice this and deduce that a Spy is nearby if there are no Pyro players around or if multiple Flame Thrower sounds can be heard.
- Disguising as an enemy Spy, from the enemy team's perspective, makes you appear as one of their Spies wearing a mask. You have no control over which mask is shown and it is impossible to appear without a mask, sometimes causing giveaway cues like wearing a Heavy mask while still moving at full speed. To your own team you still appear as a friendly Spy wearing a Spy mask.
On the PC, the Disguise function can also be accessed directly through the Developer's Console using the 'disguise X Y' command with the following parameters:
|Class||X Value||Team||Y Value|
- A Spy disguised as a player with weapons that grant passive effects (such as the Scotsman's Skullcutter) does not possess these passive effects (e.g. decreased movement speed).
- Disguising as a class that the enemy team does not have may cause the disguise's displayed health to be an impossible value. For example, if the enemy team has no Scouts, a Spy disguises as an enemy Scout, and the Scout disguise decides to choose a Heavy player's name, the Scout disguise also takes on the health of the Heavy (such as 300), which is an impossible value for a Scout to have as the maximum possible health a Scout can have is 185, which is when a Scout who is not wielding the Sandman is overhealed by any of Medic's secondary weapons other than the Quick-Fix.
- Picking up a health kit resets the disguise's health down to a valid number.
- A Spy disguised as a player of the enemy team may incorrectly display his actual alias to his opponents when aimed at or through the use of voice commands.
- The list of weapons carried by the one disguised by the Spy is stored and spawned on the Spy's feet where he initially started the disguise, this list is able to block any sort of hitscan weapon attacks, as well as melee attacks from both teams, and the size of this invisible hitbox varies from weapon to weapon.
- Losing the disguise removes the list as well as the hitbox, and disguising as a new target moves the list to the newest location where the Spy started the new disguise.
- If a Spy disguises as an enemy Soldier who has the Battle Bob equipped with the "Without Helmet" style, the disguise has a helmet on as if they were wearing the "With Helmet" style.
- If a Spy disguises as an enemy Engineer who has the Hotrod equipped, the disguise's Hotrod flips down over his face upon switching to any kind of Sapper. On a real Engineer, this would occur when carrying a building, new or hauling; since the Sapper counts as a building, this behavior occurs.
- If a Spy disguises as an enemy who has the Grandmaster equipped, the Grandmaster appears as the Spy's team color.
- If a Spy disguises while holding a specialized or professional killstreak weapon, the opposing team sees the sheen on the disguise's class's weapon.
- When spectating a disguised Spy, the "X is currently holding" box may display weapons and items that actually belong to the player the Spy is disguised as.
- If a Spy is disguised as a member of his team and uses voice commands, the enemy is notified of these commands in chat as enemy voice commands.
- This also happens for Spectators even if they do not spectate anyone.
- A weapon that normally changes bodygroups does not change bodygroups when used as a disguise weapon. For example, the Medic's Vaccinator still has the stock Medi Gun's backpack and the Engineer's Short Circuit overlaps with his normal glove when used as disguise weapons.
- A weapon with
extra_wearabledoes not spawn said wearable when used as a disguise weapon. For example, Soldier's banners only display the bugle (the weapon itself) and not their respective backpacks (extra wearables) when used as disguise weapons. This is because the game checks an item if it matches the user's team color and the exceptions for disguises only apply to cosmetics and the weapons themselves, so the extra wearables get deleted the moment they would spawn.
- Wearable weapons that cannot be actively used allows the Spy to change his disguise weapon to the default one of that slot. For example, the Sniper equipping the Darwin's Danger Shield and the SMG, both of which are secondary weapons, as shown on the picture above.
- Occasionally, a Spy appears to be holding the weapon of a class they were previously disguised as.