Unusual quality is an item quality used on cosmetic items, taunts, and weapons with a special attached particle effect. There are currently 337 cosmetic items that can have one of 66 total effects, 18 taunts that can have one of 11 total effects, and 10 weapons that can have one of 4 effects. The only methods of obtaining an Unusual item are by potentially unlocking a Mann Co. Supply Crate with a Mann Co. Supply Crate Key or via trading. The chances of uncrating an Unusual item are about one in one hundred, or 1.00%. Unlike regular items which can only be obtained from specific crates, any item obtainable in Unusual quality can be uncrated from any given crate, however the particle effects obtained depends on the series of crate the unusual item was obtained from.
Due to their unique particle effect decorations and their extremely low probability of being obtained from crates, Unusual items are considered to be some of the rarest items in TF2.The hexadecimal color code for Unusual items is .
Other Unusual items
Two special items of Unusual quality were introduced with the Scream Fortress Update: the Haunted Metal Scrap, and the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker. However, unlike regular Unusual items, the Unusual Metal Scrap is dropped for any player who has taken part in defeating the Horseless Headless Horsemann with a melee weapon, while the Headtaker can be obtained by crafting it from a blueprint that includes the Unusual Metal Scrap. Besides bearing the Unusual quality, the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker is statistically identical to the Eyelander. In addition, neither of these items has an attached particle effect. Due to these characteristics, these two Unusual items are not considered as valuable as regular Unusual items.
The first 14 effects were added to the game with the Mann-Conomy Update, 8 more unusual effects were added with the August 18, 2011 Patch, and 7 additional effects were added with the June 19, 2013 Patch. The unusual effect pool used by any given series of crate is listed in its potential uncrate results list.
The first 14 effects can be obtained from any crate of Series #1 to Series #25.
The next 8 effects can be obtained from any crate of Series #26 to Series #57.
The final 7 effects can be obtained from any Series #59 crate onwards.
There were 4 more Halloween-only effects added with the Very Scary Halloween Special, 5 with the Spectral Halloween Special, 8 with Scream Fortress 2013, and 6 with Scream Fortress 2014. Additionally, 2 Halloween-only taunt effects were added in with Scream Fortress 2014. Unlike other effects, these can only be obtained during Halloween season, from any openable crate. The first 4 Halloween-only effects, introduced in the Very Scary Halloween Special.
The next 5 Halloween-only effects, introduced in the Spectral Halloween Special.
The next 8 Halloween-only effects, introduced in Scream Fortress 2013.
The final 6 Halloween-only effects, introduced in Scream Fortress 2014.
The 2 Halloween-only taunt effects, introduced in Scream Fortress 2014.
Love & War
End of the Line
List of Unusual items
These effects were added to the game, but are currently unused.
These effects were unused in the game files, but have since been removed.
- The effect named "It's A Secret To Everybody" is a reference to a popular phrase in the video game series The Legend of Zelda. The effect itself appears to be a reference to the moon in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- The effect named "Something Burning This Way Comes" references the fantasy horror novel by the name Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury; the title is itself a reference to the Shakespeare piece Macbeth, towards a specific line in Act 4, Scene 1.
- The effect named "Dead Presidents" refers to a slang term used to describe U.S. currency. This is due to the fact that the dollar bills depict deceased U.S. Presidents.
- The effects named "Sulphurous" and "Phosphorous" are references to the chemistry elements Sulfur/Sulphur and Phosphorus.
- The effect named "Chiroptera Venenata" is rough Latin for "Poisonous Bat".