Unusual Napper's Respite
Level 73 Hat
★ Unusual Effect: Circling Heart
After a long day of burning scouts.
There is nothing unusual about this man's head!
— The Soldier
Unusual quality is an item quality used on cosmetic items, taunts, and weapons with a special attached particle effect. There are currently 350 cosmetic items that can have one of 66 total effects, 18 taunts that can have one of 11 total effects, and 10 weapons that can have one of 4 effects. The only methods of obtaining an Unusual item are by potentially unlocking a Mann Co. Supply Crate with a Mann Co. Supply Crate Key or via trading. The chances of uncrating an Unusual item are about one in one hundred, or 1.00%. Unlike regular items which can only be obtained from specific crates, any item obtainable in Unusual quality can be uncrated from any given crate, however the particle effects obtained depends on the series of crate the unusual item was obtained from.
Due to their unique particle effect decorations and their extremely low probability of being obtained from crates, Unusual items are considered to be some of the rarest items in TF2.
The hexadecimal color code for Unusual items is
Other Unusual items
Two special items of Unusual quality were introduced with the Scream Fortress Update: the Haunted Metal Scrap, and the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker. However, unlike regular Unusual items, the Unusual Metal Scrap is dropped for any player who has taken part in defeating the Horseless Headless Horsemann with a melee weapon, while the Headtaker can be obtained by crafting it from a blueprint that includes the Unusual Metal Scrap. Besides bearing the Unusual quality, the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker is statistically identical to the Eyelander. In addition, neither of these items has an attached particle effect. Due to these characteristics, these two Unusual items are not considered as valuable as regular Unusual items.
The first 14 effects were added to the game with the Mann-Conomy Update, 8 more unusual effects were added with the August 18, 2011 Patch, and 7 additional effects were added with the June 19, 2013 Patch. The unusual effect pool used by any given series of crate is listed in its potential uncrate results list.
The first 14 effects can be obtained from any crate of Series #1 to Series #25.
The next 8 effects can be obtained from any crate of Series #26 to Series #57.
The final 7 effects can be obtained from any Series #59 crate onwards.
There were 4 more Halloween-only effects added with the Very Scary Halloween Special, 5 with the Spectral Halloween Special, 8 with Scream Fortress 2013, and 6 with Scream Fortress 2014. Additionally, 2 Halloween-only taunt effects were added in with Scream Fortress 2014. Unlike other effects, these can only be obtained during Halloween season, from any openable crate.
The first 4 Halloween-only effects, introduced in the Very Scary Halloween Special.
The next 5 Halloween-only effects, introduced in the Spectral Halloween Special.
It's A Secret To Everybody
The next 8 Halloween-only effects, introduced in Scream Fortress 2013.
Something Burning This Way Comes
The final 6 Halloween-only effects, introduced in Scream Fortress 2014.
The 2 Halloween-only taunt effects, introduced in Scream Fortress 2014.
The Robotic Boogaloo Update added 10 Community-created unusual effects. Items with these effects can only be obtained by unlocking the RoboCrate.
Love & War
The Love & War Update added 8 unusual taunt effects.
End of the Line
The End of the Line Update added 4 unusual effects. Items with these effects can only be obtained by unlocking the End of the Line Community Crate.
Gun Mettle Update
The Gun Mettle Update added 4 unusual effects exclusively for Decorated weapons. Items with these effects can only be obtained by unlocking the Powerhouse Case and Concealed Killer Case.
The Invasion Update added 9 unusual effects. Items with these effects can only be obtained by unlocking the Confidential Collection Case and Quarantined Collection Case.
List of Unusual items
September 30, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Unusual quality.
August 18, 2011 Patch (Manno-Technology Bundle)
- [Undocumented] Added Stormy Storm, Blizzardy Storm, Nuts n' Bolts, Orbiting Planets, Orbiting Fire, Bubbling, Smoking, and Steaming unusual effects.
August 23, 2011 Patch
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added Cloudy Moon, Eerie Orbiting Fire, Flaming Lantern, and Cauldron Bubbles unusual effects.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added Knifestorm, Misty Skull, Harvest Moon, It's A Secret To Everybody and Stormy 13th Hour unusual effects.
May 17, 2013 Patch (Robotic Boogaloo)
- [Undocumented] Added Anti-Freeze, Electrostatic, Green Black Hole, Memory Leak, Overclocked, Phosphorous, Power Surge, Roboactive, Sulphurous, and Time Warp unusual effects.
June 5, 2013 Patch
- Attachment point and offset for particle effects on unusual hats can now be adjusted from the character loadout screen.
- Fixed a bug that would cause unusual effects to float in the air over dead players.
- Fixed a bug that would cause unusual effects to show incorrectly sometimes when spectating other players.
June 19, 2013 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Aces High, Cloud 9, Dead Presidents, Disco Beat Down, Kill-a-Watt, Miami Nights, and Terror-Watt unusual effects.
October 29, 2013 Patch (Scream Fortress 2013)
- [Undocumented] Added Arcana, Chiroptera Venenata, Darkblaze, Demonflame, Hellfire, Poisoned Shadows, Something Burning This Way Comes, and Spellbound unusual effects.
December 20, 2013 Patch
- Unusual effect positioning can now be adjusted for all Cosmetic-slot items.
- Unusual Circling Effects have been given a new origin.
- Unusual effects for all Cosmetic-slot items are now visible in the loadout panel and character HUD.
June 18, 2014 Patch (Love & War)
- [Undocumented] Added '72, Fountain Of Delight, Holy Grail, Mega Strike, Midnight Whirlwind, Screaming Tiger, Showstopper, and Skill Gotten Gains unusual taunt effects.
- Added the Mann Co. Audition Reel. Contains taunts and a rare chance at an unusual taunt.
- Updated Mann Co. Crates to display which Unusual Series they can potentially output.
October 29, 2014 Patch (Scream Fortress 2014)
- [Undocumented] Added Amaranthine, Bonzo The All-Gnawing, Ghastly Ghosts, Ghastly Ghosts Jr., Haunted Phantasm, Haunted Phantasm Jr., Stare From Beyond, and The Ooze unusual effects. Also added Ghastly Ghosts, and Haunted Phantasm unusual taunt effects
November 4, 2014 Patch
- Renamed two Unusual effects
- Haunted Phantasm Jr to Ghastly Ghosts Jr
- Attrib_Particle86 to Haunted Phantasm Jr
December 8, 2014 Patch (End of the Line Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Death at Dusk, Frostbite, Molten Mallard and Morning Glory unusual effects.
January 9, 2015 Patch
- Fixed the Mega Strike unusual taunt effect showing through walls
February 18, 2015 Patch
- Fixed some Unusual particle effects not drawing correctly.
July 2, 2015 Patch (Gun Mettle Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Isotope, Hot, Cool, and Energy Orb unusual effects.
August 18, 2015 Patch
- Fixed character loadout menus so they display the particle effects for all equipped Unusual items.
October 6, 2015 Patch (Invasion Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Abduction, Atomic, Subatomic, Electric Hat Protector, Magnetic Hat Protector, Voltaic Hat Protector, Galactic Codex, Ancient Codex, and Nebula unusual effects.
These effects were added to the game, but are currently unused.
Some effects have been slightly modified to be displayed correctly.
'crisp spotlights cones03'
These effects were unused in the game files, but have since been removed.
- The effect named "It's A Secret To Everybody" is a reference to a popular phrase in the video game series The Legend of Zelda. The effect itself appears to be a reference to the moon in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- The effect named "Something Burning This Way Comes" references the fantasy horror novel by the name Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury; the title is itself a reference to the Shakespeare piece Macbeth, towards a specific line in Act 4, Scene 1.
- The effect named "Dead Presidents" refers to a slang term used to describe U.S. currency. This is due to the fact that the dollar bills depict deceased U.S. Presidents.
- The effects named "Sulphurous" and "Phosphorous" are references to the chemistry elements Sulfur/Sulphur and Phosphorus.
- The effect named "Chiroptera Venenata" is rough Latin for "Poisonous Bat".
- ↑ Statistical analysis of TF2 unbox rate