Team Fortress 2 Official Soundtrack
From Team Fortress Wiki
Team Fortress 2 Official Soundtrack is a soundtrack album composed by Valve sound director Mike Morasky and performed by the Valve Studio Orchestra. As of August 15, 2012, the soundtrack contains 18 original tracks, with the majority of tracks originally appearing in the Meet the Team series of videos by Valve. Tracks 1 to 3 are also included in The Orange Box Original Soundtrack.
|1.||Mike Morasky||Team Fortress 2 (Main Theme)||1:11|
|2.||Mike Morasky||Playing With Danger||4:01|
|3.||Mike Morasky||Rocket Jump Waltz||0:37|
|4.||Mike Morasky||The Art of War||2:16|
|5.||Mike Morasky||Faster Than a Speeding Bullet||1:24|
|6.||Mike Morasky||Right Behind You||1:40|
|7.||Mike Morasky||Petite Chou-Fleur||1:42|
|8.||Mike Morasky||Intruder Alert||1:52|
|9.||Mike Morasky||Drunken Pipe Bomb||1:30|
|10.||Mike Morasky||More Gun||3:04|
|11.||Mike Morasky||Haunted Fortress 2||1:21|
|12.||Mike Morasky||TF2 Saxxy 2011 Theme||2:07|
|13.||Mike Morasky||A Little Heart to Heart||1:34|
|16.||Mike Morasky||Dreams of Cruelty||1:06|
|17.||Mike Morasky||The Calm||2:35|
- Lalo Schifrin – "Magnum Force" - 1:18 (from Meet the Sniper)
- Mike Morasky – "Your Team Lost" - 0:11 (match failure theme)
- The Lovin' Spoonful - "Do You Believe In Magic?" - 2:07
- Unknown (possibly Kelly Bailey) – "Team Fortress 2 Demo" - 1:51 (combined with game sounds)
Several tracks have featured in the Meet the Team videos and elsewhere, but have yet to be officially released. These include the "Magnum Force" homage in Meet the Sniper and an alternate version of "Rocket Jump Waltz" which can be heard in a developer video showcasing the creation of Viaduct on the TF2 Official Website. An alternate version of "Playing With Danger" can be heard on the Valve publication page in the video Illustrative Rendering in Team Fortress 2. A short tune from Engineer Update teaser is currently available only via closed Source Filmmaker beta. It is called Sandwich Maker and it was not officially released.
- The music is generally played in E blues (standard hex, E-G-A-A#-B-D). The trumpet harmonies frequent towards tritones, and both "Team Fortress 2 (Main Theme)" and "Playing with Danger" are essentially the same song, structured differently with alternate instrumentation. However, in "Playing with Danger", the piano line (which is the same as the wind and brass lines in this song) plays major seconds that resolve to one note, the Aug4 of the scale. With the running bass line being played beneath this, this makes the piano part exceedingly dissonant.
The tab for the oft-repeated "dirge" (leading on guitar in "Team Fortress 2 (Main Theme)" and on piano as a bass part in "Duty Calls") is roughly:
E--0-0-0-3-3-3-0-0-0-7-7-7-5-5-6-0-0-0-3-3-3-0-0-0-7-7-7-6-6-5-5 E--0-0-0-3-3-3-0-0-0-7-7-7-5-5-6-0-0-0-3-3-3-0-0-0-7-7-7-6-6-5-5 (and back to the beginning)
The intro sting is:
E- ------------------------------3-0 ( / represents a slide.)
The brass tends to be playing around the 7-6-5 notes a couple of octaves up. Orchestral brass tends to be slightly out of tune (half a semitone too high) to give it that jazzy sound, on guitar you can replicate the effect by playing really high frets, eg:
- ↑ "This point ain't gonna cap itself!", Corey Peters, TF2 Official Website blog post, August 21, 2009. Accessed August 17, 2011.
- ↑ Illustrative Rendering in Team Fortress 2