Humanitarian's Hachimaki is a promotional headwear item, wearable by all classes. It is a white headband bearing a team-colored cherry blossom pattern on the front.
As part of the Japan Charity Bundle update, a set of hats introduced in the March 23, 2011 Patch, this hat was purchasable in the Mann Co. Store until April 6 for $7.49. The hat could be purchased individually or as part of a bundle, with all proceeds, excluding taxes, going to funding the American Red Cross relief operations in Japan following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.
March 23, 2011 Patch (Japan Charity Bundle)
- Humanitarian's Hachimaki was added to the game.
April 7, 2011 Patch
- A hachimaki (鉢巻, lit. "helmet-scarf") is a stylized headband in Japanese culture, usually made of red or white cloth. It was worn as a symbol of perseverance or effort by the wearer. Hachimaki are sometimes worn by Japanese protesters to show their dedication. Also, Japanese kamikaze pilots in World War II would often wear hachimaki before flying to their deaths.
- The flower on the Humanitarian's Hachimaki is a sakura, or cherry blossom, symbolic of Japan.
- The Soldier wears this item over his eyes rather than on his brow because the model is based on the Hero's Hachimaki, which was designed as a blindfold.
- This hat's price was originally listed as $7.99 on the official blog.